Friday, November 4, 2011

What to Wear???

Here's a question I get asked EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I schedule a photo shoot, "What should I/we wear???"

Two things to consider:

  • Who's being photographed? If it's just you and your spouse then consider most pictures will be taken together in close proximity. If you wear the same color shirts & jeans then there won't be much distinction between the two of you. If it's a family shoot then similar color families are fine! Or contrasts of black & white are great. Be creative. You can have everyone in different shades of one color then maybe put a bright colored bow in your daughter's hair or have your son in a bright vest. I like unexpected pops of color in clothes, jewelry and/or accessories. Don't be scared to play around with colors you wouldn't normally pair together! PHOTOGRAPHY ISN'T PERMANENT! Well, it is kind of, but you shouldn't be scared! What's trendy now you will probably loathe in 5 years, but hey! That's what's fun about family pictures. Looking back & saying "Why did I wear that/do my
    hair that way!" ;) Have fun with it. If you're like me, you get family pictures every year. Why not branch out & try something you haven't tried before?
  • Where are you being photographed? Take into consideration your location. If you are going to be in a park with grass & trees. Try to pick a bright color that won't blend into the green surroundings. If you're going to be photographed in a rustic/old downtown location, choose something more subtle as you don't want your outfit to clash with or compete with your backdrop. This sounds like common sense, right? I think clients immediately get tense when they hear "family photos." Just dress you and your family in whatever they are comfortable with. Happy kids/spouses take better pictures!! ;)

My style suggestions:

  • I love contrast. i.e. If you're in a field, wear something really dressy & formal. If you're downtown, wear something bright with lots of layers, but more casual.
  • I don't love characters or big logos or busy/conflicting patterns. I think these detract from your beautiful face.
  • A warning to the ladies: I've had multiple complaints about cardigans not looking flattering in photos. Let me warn you that cardigans are an awesome way to layer and add different colors to the picture. HOWEVER: at different angles an open cardigan may look boxy or make you look bigger than you truly are. If you wear a cardigan, consider belting it or wearing one that you can button a little to look more form fitting.
  • Bring a change of clothes or different accessories to switch up halfway through your shoot.
  • RELAX! It's just family photos. That phrase shouldn't send you into a panic. You're getting pictures to capture you/your family at this present time. Your family photos are going in your house. You have to look at them. Not me. Do what you're most comfortable with & have fun!

Hopefully some of these tips help! Leave me a comment with any helpful suggestions you tried & worked well for you or your family. I'd love to keep this post as a "work in progress" and add to it as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment